Sunday 27 December 2009

27th December 2009 - Thirteen More For the Garden

Today I had a very well earned break from the Christmas responsibilities with a relaxed day of ringing in my garden where I managed to catch 13 new birds covering all of the first five ring sizes. The unusual thing about the catches today was the complete lack of new Blue or Great Tit, but the comparatively high catch of Blackbirds which must have moved in with the cold weather (adult male above).
Another interesting catch was a retrap adult Coal Tit (above) that I ringed as a 5 here almost exactly a year ago on 10th January having not caught it since. At dusk, as I was taking the nets down, 3 Woodcock flew low over the tops of the trees. I will need to check the fields again soon to see if I can attempt to dazzle some!
Birds ringed:
Chaffinch - 1
Goldfinch - 2
Long-tailed Tit - 2
Greenfinch - 4
Blackbird - 3
Song Thrush - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment