Saturday 15 May 2010

14th and 15th May 2010 - Nests Again

On the afternoon of 14th Jake, Kevin and myself toured the nest boxes at Warnham LNR, with just over 40 in total of which almost all were occupied. A number were ready for ringing with 5 families of Great Tits (4, 7, 6, 8, 7) and two families of Blue Tits (10, 10), also a number of adults were present of which interestingly they were mostly last years birds on their first nest, but the oldest was a Blue Tit ringed in 2007.

But the absolute highlight was finding a Treecreeper nest in a Cricket Bat Willow that was accessible to Jake's little fingers and five chicks were ringed.
Today (15th), Wes drove past a field near my house and noticed some young corvids jumping about on the floor, so phoned me and I went over and very quickly managed to catch two very young Rooks which were only half able to fly and jump (above and below). While I fnally managed to ring the three Blackbird chicks in the garden on my return home from work.
Birds ringed:
Blue Tit - 2 + 20 nestlings
Great Tit - 2 + 32 nestlings
Treecreeper - 5 nestlings
Rook - 2 fledglings
Blackbird - 3 nestlings

No comments:

Post a Comment